Thursday, May 18, 2006

Jack of All Trades, Master of None

I've got the 'poor me' blues; and the chorus--which endlessly pings the walls of my noggin--has more staying power than any childhood incy-wincy-twinkle-tune. I've even tried listening to the Best of the Bee Gees; you know, counter attack, fight fire with fire, but all that's done is heightened the octave of which the 'poor me' blues now pings. Now I feel like the bastard child of Maurice Gibbs and B.B. King. I just hope I don't get diabetes.

The source of my blues stems from not knowing what the hell I should do with my life; well, that and the fact that I just stubbed my toe for the second time tonight. I'm done with school (one more class to go) and yet I'm as lost now as I was when I started. I'm so lost I'm even contemplating law enforcement. The thing that really gets me, is how easy it seems to fit together for everyone else. I hear Ricky knew what he wanted to be just after his birth when he showed the doctor how to stitch up his own level-three tear. Jake was hammering things before he could walk and Kenny, well let's just say Kenny should have been born in Kansas 100 years ago. Cook is to sales what Ahmin is to Logan's Heros and Danny's about as civil engineerish as one can be (take that any way you want to.) I knew Josh was going to be a lawyer when I first met him; since then he's made me proud by arguing everything that's ever come out of my mouth. The other five, Nick, Brad, Nate, Seth and Jordan have all either wanted to go into teeth or medicine, and nothing else from what I recall. And then there's me, who once wanted nothing more than to deliver the mail. I've also thought about nursing, counseling, teaching, writing, film making and stripping (which I know would be very lucrative for someone with a body like mine.)

But here I sit, thinking about starting all over after 4 years of journalism and go pre-med (mainly because everyone else is doing it. I was always a sucker for peer pressure).

Why Am I so fickle? Why can't I just make a decision and stick to it? I feel like Holden Caulfield and the main character from Office Space. If I could do anything in the whole world I would do NOTHING. And I would do Nothing all day long and be perfectly content. Now to figure out a way to get paid for it.

1 comment:

The Clark's said...

Jack I know how you feel. I'm trying to look for a job right now and have no clue what to even look for. My schooling isn't helping me one bit and I have no trade or skills that would qualify me for a decent job. Brad wants me to get a job and I really do need one to take away my boredom, but who will hire someone whose longest job lasted only 4 months?